Platform & device targeting
This guide will show you how to add platform and device targeting to ads. You will learn:
- How platform and device targeting works
- How to create a platform or device target
- How to assign a platform or device target
- How to set up paired-zone targeting for email and VAST ads
How platform targeting works
Apps and browsers have an identifying string called a user agent that contains information about the device and operating system on which they are running. This is also how browsers identify themselves. AdButler uses the user agent provided by the viewer's device to target ads by platform (mobile device or desktop computer), device, or both.
Step 1: Create a platform or device target
- Click on Targets in the left navigation menu to go to the Targeting menu.
- Click Manage Platform Targets. The Platform Targets subsection will appear.
- Click Add New. The New Platform Target window will appear.
- Give the target a name.
- Specify the targeting parameters. You can enable one or multiple parameters at once.
- Click Save Target.
Step 2: Assign the platform or device target
- Go to the appropriate publisher or campaign dashboard.
- Click Add New under the Ad Items table then select the ad item type. The New Ad Item settings will appear.
- Choose the serve method. The rest of the settings will appear.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the settings then click Targeting to expand the targeting settings.
- Select the target you made in Step 1 in the Browser & OS dropdown menu.
- Click Save after configuring all settings.
Set up paired-zone targeting in email and VAST ad zones
Advertisers often have both mobile and desktop variants of the same ad. For image, HTML5, rich media, or programmatic ads, you can simply create a Standard ad zone and set its size to Dynamic.
For email and VAST ad items, you can use platform targeting to stack two ad zones - one for each platform - then set it so that only the ad corresponding to the viewer's platform will appear. This also allows you to keep mobile and desktop stats separate, and properly track your users.