Using keywords for URL & page targeting
Using keywords to target specific pages or categories on your website without touching any code.
How URL & page targeting works
Whenever AdButler loads an ad item, it looks at the page URL to try and orient itself. If you use our inurl macro, AdButler will check the page URL against the supplied keyword to see if it matches. If it does AdButler will record a positive match.
Setting up URL targeting
- Navigate to the assignment page for the placement you want to be targeted.
- Scroll down to and expand the targeting section.
- In the Keywords field, type in
inurl:followed by the word you're looking for.
- Set whether the keyword is Required or Preferred with the Keyword Match Method.
- Click Save at the bottom.
URL & page targeting example
If you were to target a page that appears is the sports category of your website, your target would be
Tips for URL targeting
- URL targeting works best when it reflects how your websites setup. For instance, if you categorize all your pages, URL targeting is a simple way to target a category.
- Like all forms of keyword targeting, URL targeting can be made exclusive by adding the
-sign before the keyword.
- You can read more about what characters are allowed and general information in our keyword targeting article.