Targets let you show different ads in the same zone for different users or pages in the publisher's site. With geographic or location targeting, you can serve the assigned campaign only for viewers in certain locations based on their computer or device's IP address. You can also do the opposite and exclude viewers in certain locations from being served an ad. Depending on their region, you may be able to target viewers down to the city level.
This guide will show you how to use geo targeting. For other forms of targeting, read Keyword targeting, Platform & device targeting, and Data Keys. To find out how to set schedules and target dates, days, or periods, read Pacing & Schedule.
You will learn:
Creating a geographic target
- Click Targets on the left-hand navigation panel.
- Click Manage Geographic Targets. The table of geographic targets will appear.
- Click Add New. The New Target settings page will appear.
- Give the target a name.
- Enter a target radius if desired. This takes effect only when you select at least one city in the next field. The radius expands the coverage to a circle that encompasses nearby cities, with the targeted city at the center of the circle. If you select multiple cities, the radius will apply to each of those cities.
- Select whether the targeted location will be included or excluded from being served.
- Select the locations you would like to target by clicking the check box beside each location. Click the plus sign beside a location to drill down to a more specific location within the area.
- Click Save Target. The target you created will appear in the table of geographic targets.
Assigning a geographic target to a campaign
- Go to the relevant campaign's dashboard (Advertisers > Your Advertiser > Your Campaign).
- Click Assign to Zone under the Zone Assignments table.
- Select a zone to which the campaign will be assigned. The Assignment Details page will appear.
- Select a serve method. The rest of the settings will appear.
- Set the initial settings as needed, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click Targeting to expand its settings.
- Select a geographic target from the Geographic dropdown menu.
- Click Save.