This article will teach you the basics of a zone. You will learn:
- What zones are.
- The difference between a fixed size zone and a dynamic zone.
- The different types of zones.
- How to create a zone.
- How a zone works.
What is a zone?
A zone represents the space on a Publisher's website in which ads are shown, or "served". When creating a zone, you have to consider the size and the type of the ads that will be displayed in it.
Zone size: fixed vs. dynamic
A zone can have a fixed area, which is defined by width and height values in pixels. For example, a half-page ad usually has a dimension of 300 x 600 pixels. That means its zone must have the same dimensions. When creating a zone, you can easily choose from a range of commonly used zone sizes. You can also manually enter the zone's width and height in pixels. The important thing to remember is that a zone with a fixed size will accommodate only ad items with the same dimensions.
Alternatively, you can create a dynamic zone. As its name implies, a dynamic zone has no fixed size. It will accommodate ad items of any size and try to fit them in the site. For example, a dynamic zone can display one ad item in the desktop version of a website, then show a smaller ad item in the mobile version of the site.
Similar to a zone's size, a zone's type must match the type of media or asset of the ad items that will be shown in that zone.
|Standard Zone||The most common zone type. Used to serve image ads (jpg,png, or gif), HTML/Rich-media, Flash ads, or 3rd Party scripts|
|VAST Ad Zone||Used to serve VAST video ads to display in a VAST compliant video player.|
|Email Ad Zone||Used to serve image-based ads in emails or newsletters.|
How to create a zone
You create and manage zones in the section of the publisher to which you want to serve ads.
- Go to the section of the publisher in which you want to create a zone (Your AdButler > Publishers > Your Publisher).
- Click Add Zone under the table of zones. The zone type selector will appear.
- Click on your desired zone type.
- Enter a name for the zone.
- Set the zone's size.
- Click Create Zone.
How a Zone Works
Once you have a zone, you can:
- create ad items directly within the zone
- create ad items in a campaign, then assign the campaign to the zone (This is what we recommend for most cases)
- assign the zone to a channel, which is a group of zones, then assign a campaign to the channel
After creating a zone, you must send its zone tag to the publisher so you can start serving ads. A zone tag is a piece of code that is placed on the publisher's site or app. It requests for an ad from AdButler whenever someone visits the zone's page or app. Without the zone tag, the publisher's site or app can't reach out to AdButler, and AdButler has no way of knowing when or where to serve ads.